Penang Shutter Therapy, a Short, but Fulfilling One

12 Comments
Important Note: 
Please support my friend Jackie Loi and his charity cause, as he is selling his photographs to raise funds for an Orphanage. All his photographs are taken with Olympus, and you may find some really amazing stuff, and donation starts as low as below USD10 per photograph! 
For more information, kindly go to Jackie's page here (click). 


I have been severely deprived of my shutter therapy sessions. 

Work has caught up on me, the last weekend I was away to Penang, and subsequently Seri Manjung for Olympus Malaysia Touch and Try events. It was great fun meeting so many amazing people who do use Olympus system from up north of Malaysia, and sharing so many incredible stories and adventures using OM-D and PEN cameras. Many came up to me and said hi, following my blog and I feel so blessed to be able to reach out! I always feel at home in Penang and Northern states of Malaysia, mainly because people here speak generally Hokkien, a language I am very familiar with (main language in my hometown Kuching as well). 

In the midst of all the huff and puff, chasing the dying light of the day, I had about one hour before sunset in one fine evening in Penang. One hour may seem too short to do anything after a long, exhaustive day of work, but my desperation to shoot on the streets took over. Penang is heaven for street photography, and if I had my way I would spend a FULL DAY shooting till my legs fall apart. People in Penang are so friendly, the streets are beautiful, rich in both culture and history. After all, Penang is recognized as a World Heritage Site by Unesco. 

I was using my own Olympus OM-D E-M5 with M.Zuiko lenses 45mm F1.8 and 25mm F1.8

I live to eat food like these. Cendol in Penang has got to be the best in Malaysia

Portrait of a Stranger, in Penang



Trishaw

Wash

Kopitiam culture

Shopkeeper

Bicycle

Paintings

An Exit

Five Foot Way

Not enough dynamic range

Warmth

Chained

Push

Oyster Omelette to die for

Char Kuey Tiaw

Ngo Hiang (people in Penang call it Lo Bak)

Red Beans and Longan

Though it was only an hour shutter therapy, I suddenly felt this sense of well-being after the shooting session. It was my therapy, it was my way of ending a stressful week. 

If you are visiting Malaysia, please do consider Penang in your list of places to travel to. 



12 comments:

  1. Very good street photography with yummy food!!! I like also the colors from the images!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olympus does beautiful colors! I did not edit any of them

      Delete
    2. Nice photos!

      Mind sharing your picture style settings? Photos I get from my EM-5 usually needs some post processing to make the colours pop.

      Delete
    3. I use aperture priority mostly (except the panning shot, taken with shutter priority). Lowest ISO possible while watching sufficient shutter speed. Always make sure images are in focus, and images well exposed.

      Delete
  2. Great shots as always and my favourite is "Bicycle". Thanks so much for sharing your shutter therapy session with us. I now have to go and and eat as your food shots are mouthwatering ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy Penang food. It is food paradise for me.

      Delete
  3. Great Photos Robin! Food looks yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to share! Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Hi Robin, thanks so much for sharing. The Malaysia food looks delicious. Can you tell me how often do you use flash while shooting on the street? I intend to buy EM5 II for street life shoot, but I do not want to bring the external flash. Please give me your recommendation about this. I am a newbie in the photography field. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tuan,
      Malaysian food is indeed delicious. And no, I do not use flash when I shoot on the streets.

      Delete
  5. Bukit Mertajam?

    The food must have been incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, did not make it to Mertajam. Just around Penang Georgetown area.

      Delete